Recipes: Cranberry Lime Pie
A perfect twist on a traditional Key Lime pie that will make an excellent addition to your weekend.
CRANBERRY LIME PIE
- 4 ounces of gingersnap cookies
- 1 cup of pecans
- 4 tablespoons of melted unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
Filling and Assembly
- 12-ounce package fresh cranberries, plus 4 ounces for serving
- 2½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest, divided
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter at room temperature and cut into pieces
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Put cookies in a food processor and pulse until finely ground.
- Add pecans to the ground cookies and pulse until finely ground as well.
- Add butter and brown sugar to that mixture, pulse to combine.
- Transfer it to a deep 9" pie dish pressing it firmly onto bottom and up sides to form the crust.
- Bake until firm for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, adjust sides pressing it up if they have slid back down and let it cool.
Filling and Assembly
- Combine 12 oz. cranberries, 1 cup granulated sugar, and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high.
- Reduce heat and let it simmer until cranberries burst, and most of the liquid evaporates. About 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Purée the mixture in a blender until very smooth.
- Cook the cranberry mixture combining it with eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest, lime juice, salt, ½ cup sugar, and 1 tsp. Lime zest in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of almost boiling water until curd thickens and coats spatula, 8 minutes.
- When cooler, using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat curd, adding butter a piece at a time during about 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into crust and let it chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, bring ½ cup granulated sugar and ½ cup water to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add remaining 4 oz. Cranberries and cook for about 1 minute to soften. Transfer cranberries without juice to a wire rack to dry. Chill until no longer sticky for about 20 minutes.
- Mix remaining ½ cup granulated sugar with one tsp. Lime zest in a small bowl. Toss cranberries in the lime sugar and place on top of pie to decorate.
Adapted from Cranberry-Lime Pie at Bon Appetite. This recipe was created by married chefs and owners of New York Thai restaurant "Uncle Boons" Ann Redding & Matt Danzer. They started their careers and met at the acclaimed Per Se restaurant and since then have been creating fantastic dishes. The Michelin Guide which awarded one star to the chefs and restaurant says: "Can't afford a trip to Thailand? No problem. This transporting little gem-compliments of talented husband-wife duo Matt Danzer and Ann Redding-brings the Northern Thai experience stateside with creative cuisine and whimsical drinks".